Bordeaux - The Biggest wine myth I ever believed

It was our 25th wedding anniversary, and I had decided this was the year we’d finally make our bucket-list trip to Bordeaux. Before I ever booked a flight, though, I kept hearing the same things over and over. 
“Bordeaux is out of reach.” “They’re arrogant.” 
“They think they’re the best in the world.” 
“They look down on New World wines.”
“The French aren’t exactly known for being welcoming.” 
In other words, Bordeaux had somehow earned a reputation for being the most intimidating place a wine lover could visit. Well… spoiler alert. None of that turned out to be true. Not even close. 

Since it was our silver anniversary, I wasn’t about to compromise on the itinerary. If we were going to Bordeaux, we were going to dream big. So I reached out to the very best. Château Margaux—arguably one of the greatest red wine estates in the world. Château d’Yquem—the legendary producer of Sauternes that U.S. President Thomas Jefferson reportedly couldn’t get enough of. Château Pape Clément—one of the oldest wine estates in the world, producing wine since the 13th century. The assumption? “No chance.” 

Surprisingly, Château d’Yquem accepted reservations for tours and tastings. So did Pape Clément. That left The Château Margaux. Not just any château in Margaux—“the Château Margaux”. I sent what I assumed would disappear into the internet forever: a hopeful email with absolutely no expectations. To my complete disbelief, they replied. They explained they couldn’t accommodate the dates I had originally requested because, understandably, the staff wanted to spend Christmas with their families. Fair enough. But then came the surprise. “If you visit in April,” they said, “we may be able to arrange something, although it would likely be limited to tasting our second wine rather than the First Growth.” I didn’t blink. “Absolutely.” Then I asked the practical question. “How much?” Silence. I emailed again. Still silence. A third polite follow-up—mostly because I couldn’t imagine Château Margaux forgetting to charge someone. Finally, they replied with words I’ll never forget. “There is no charge. You will be our guest.” 

Now remember… This was the same Bordeaux I’d always heard was unattainable, stuffy, and a little full of itself. Interesting. And honestly… That wasn’t even the best part. The hospitality we experienced throughout Bordeaux was unlike anything we had prepared ourselves for. There was the caretaker at our château who had already cleaned the kitchen and was practically ready for bed when we stumbled home late, exhausted and starving after a day of tastings. Instead of apologizing that the kitchen was closed, she quietly prepared one of the most wonderful charcuterie boards we’ve ever had. Note that i said “home.” That’s intentional. Because that’s exactly how they made us feel. Then there was the taxi driver who waited for us in a remote corner of Bordeaux just to make sure we were safe and had everything we needed. The restaurant server who stood outside with us after our meal until he was sure we’d have a ride to our next tasting. And then… My favorite story of all. Our gracious host at Château d’Yquem. Yes… that Château d’Yquem. When we asked if he could call us a taxi to lunch, he simply smiled, grabbed his car keys, and drove us himself. After lunch, we asked the restaurant to call another taxi. A few minutes later… the same smiling host pulled up. Apparently, the restaurant hadn’t called a taxi at all. They had called him. Every chance he got, he’d remind us with a smile: “Enjoy… but remember to take it slow.” 

Whenever we thanked anyone for their kindness, the response was always the same: “Please don’t thank us.” “You are our guest.” “This is how it’s done in Bordeaux.” By the time our trip was winding down, our hearts were full, our taste buds were spoiled beyond repair, and we’d experienced some of the finest wines and cuisine imaginable. But I almost forgot the moment that still gives me goosebumps. 

Remember how our entire trip revolved around visiting “The Château Margaux”? We would have been thrilled with fifteen minutes. We would have happily tasted only the second wine. We would have gladly paid whatever they asked. Instead… Our host welcomed us warmly. We were her only visitors that morning. For nearly two hours she gave us her complete attention, patiently explaining every detail of the vineyards, the history, the philosophy, and introducing us to their barrel maker, who had been crafting barrels there for over forty years. Finally, she excused herself for a few minutes to retrieve our tasting. As we waited inside the magnificent library cellar, she returned carrying… Four glasses. I smiled. She smiled. My wife smiled. Without saying a word, she had decided we wouldn’t just taste the second wine. She had graciously included a tasting of the First Growth as well. It was one of those rare moments that simply stays with you forever. I still remember that first sip. Not because it was expensive. Not because it was famous. But because of what it represented. I finally asked her, “I thought you said we’d only be tasting the second wine?” She simply smiled and replied, “You are our guest. This is how it’s done in Bordeaux. We love welcoming people who genuinely want to learn about our passion for winemaking and hospitality.” 

So here’s my takeaway. If you’ve heard that the French—especially Bordeaux—are arrogant, inaccessible, or unwelcoming… Go. Stay in a small château. Reach out to the greatest wineries. Be sincere. Be humble. Listen more than you speak. Be willing to work around their schedules instead of expecting them to work around yours. You may discover, as we did, that Bordeaux isn’t defined by prestige. It’s defined by generosity. And wherever you go in Bordeaux, remember the advice we heard over and over again: "Enjoy… but remember to take it slow.”

Comments

  1. Wonderful story Prem! Happy Anniversary to you and to you and your wife!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Barb. You are always so thoughtful and kind. Hope all is amazing with you and your family.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Paso Robles - Home away from home

Wine Isn’t Complicated

Wine Classification - There’s a New Sheriff in Town